Thursday, February 16, 2012

*Levers, Wheel and Axle, Pulley

A lever is used to increase force and speed. For my example I used a balance and the load is what is being lifted. The effort is what is pushing down on the other side of it and the fulcrum is what it is sitting on. Another example of a lever is a teeter-totter.
The pulley changes the direction of a force. I used a flag pole as my example. The fulcrum is where the rope goes around the wheel, the load is the flagpole because it's being lifted, and the effort is the person lifting the rope. Another item that uses a pulley is a crane.
A wheel and axle is used to make stuff move easier. I drew a car as my example. The load is the whole car, the effort is the engine cause it makes it go, and the fulcrum is the center of the wheel, known as the axle. A bicycle also uses a wheel and axle.

4 comments:

  1. Good description Haley, i like your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice explanation of the machines. I liked your drawlings but they coud have been bigger bcause they are a little hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your drawings too - they are about as good as mine! nice clear explanations.

    ReplyDelete